Wheelchair Accessible Beach in Altona, Victoria
19 minutes drive west of Melbourne
A trip to Altona Beach makes for a great day out for the whole family, all the while overlooking the beautiful historic pier!
There's plenty to see and do in the local village, including awesome fish & chips, divine restaurants and plenty of shopping. The Altona Village Traders Association holds a local market every Tuesday on Pier Street and Logan Reserve Altona from 9am to 3pm featuring fresh local produce and local arts & crafts.
- Extra-wide accessible beach matting reaches the shoreline
- Matting available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (rare)
- Accessible parking and bathrooms located nearby
- Mobi-Chair floating beach wheelchair (booking required)
- Sandcruiser beach wheelchair (booking required)
- Visit https://goo.gl/18DcBd for detailed information
LOCATION FACILITIES AND OPERATING SEASON
- Standard operating dates? 3 December - 26 March
- Standard matting hours? 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Accessible bathroom? Yes 😀
- Accessible shower? Yes ☺️
- Accessible change room? No
- Accessible parking? Yes 😍
- Lead up pathways? Excellent 😆
- Hoist available? BYO
- Retail within 150m? Food & drink, shopping, ice cream 😍
HOW TO BOOK A BEACH WHEELCHAIR
Available for free hire on a booking basis, the Altona Live Saving Club offer a Mobi-Chair floating beach wheelchair and a Sandcruiser beach wheelchair for public use.
- Available for use free of charge during peak season
- Both chair types require assistance & supervision
- Bookings strictly required
- Make your booking at https://goo.gl/18DcBd
LOCATION & CONTACT INFORMATION
The Altona wheelchair accessible beach is located at Altona Live Saving Club, at 127 Esplanade, Altona VIC 3018
Contact details available at at https://goo.gl/18DcBd
Filmed by 9NEWS to celebrate the Mayor's opening of the Altona accessible beach, Australia's first beach to be made accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Here you can see massive Mobi-Mat installation and parking area, the Mobi-Chair floating in action and the Sandcruiser beach wheelchair.