Wheelchair Accessible Beach in Burleigh Heads, Queensland
Gold Coast Region - One of the nations top holiday destinations
The City of Gold Coast is currently undergoing a trial of accessible beach access at Burleigh Heads, one of the regions most famous and picture perfect beaches.
The Gold Coast is one of Australia's most popular holiday destinations, and home to the 2018 Commonwealth Games - including an integrated para-sport program.
- Accessible beach matting reaches the hard sand and is suitable for all manual & electric wheelchairs, prams and walking frames
- Loan of Mobi-Chair floating wheelchair, free of charge
- Loan of Hippocampe beach wheelchair, free of charge
- Accessible bathroom facility within SLSC
- National case study for beach accessibility standards
LOCATION FACILITIES AND OPERATING SEASON
- Standard operating dates? 1 December to 29 April
- Standard matting hours? SAT only - 9:00AM to 12:00PM
- Accessible bathroom? Yes 😀 (in SLSC)
- Accessible shower? Unknown
- Accessible change room? Unknown
- Accessible parking? Yes 😍 (multiple zones)
- Lead up pathways? Excellent 😆
- Hoist available? BYO
- Retail within 150m? Food & drink, shopping, ice cream 😍
HOW TO BOOK A BEACH WHEELCHAIR
Available for free hire on a booking basis, the Burleigh Heads Mowbray Park Surf Life Saving Club offers a Mobi-Chair floating beach wheelchair and a Hippocampe beach wheelchair.
- Available for use free of charge during operating months
- Both chair types require assistance & supervision
- Bookings required - visit https://goo.gl/WS7jbK for details
LOCATION & CONTACT INFORMATION
The Burleigh Heads wheelchair accessible beach is located at the Burleigh Heads Mowbray Park SLSC - Corner Goodwin Terrace and Gold Coast Highway, Burleigh Heads, Queensland.
- Phone enquiries - (07) 5535 2419
- Email enquiries - email@example.com
- Council website - https://goo.gl/WS7jbK
The following news segment was screened on 10 News to celebrate the official launch of the accessible beaches trial.
Due to the popularity of this location, approximately 5 additional videos can be found on our media page.