Wheelchair Accessible Beach in Williamstown, Victoria
15 minutes drive west of Melbourne
One of Melbourne's best hidden secrets, picturesque Williamstown is a must visit destination.
The main township (on Nelson place) is home to the Sea Shepard fleet, and the beautiful shoreline (on the Esplanade) is home to Victoria's very first accessible beach and an awesome cafe is right next to the matting, The Kiosk by d'Asporto.
- Closest accessible beach to Melbourne CBD
- Matting reaches all the way to the shoreline
- Matting available 24 x 7 during operating season (rare)
- Free use of Mobi-Chair floating wheelchair (booking required)
- Operated by Williamstown Surf Life Saving Club
- Excellent cafe / kiosk situated right next to matting installation
- Visit https://goo.gl/18DcBd for full information
- Visitor information website http://visitwilliamstown.com.au
LOCATION FACILITIES AND OPERATING SEASON
- Standard operating dates? 3 December - 26 March
- Standard matting hours? 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Accessible bathroom? Yes 😀
- Accessible shower? Yes ☺️
- Accessible change room? Yes 😀
- Accessible parking? Yes 😍
- Lead up pathways? Excellent 😆
- Hoist available? BYO
- Retail within 150m? Food & drink, ice cream 😍
HOW TO BOOK A BEACH WHEELCHAIR
Mobi-Chair is available for free hire, on a booking basis. The large arm rests become floatation devices in the water, enabling the chair user to become immersed in the soothing ocean water.
- Available for use free of charge (during season)
- Requires assistance & supervision
- Bookings strictly required
- Make your booking at https://goo.gl/18DcBd
LOCATION & CONTACT INFORMATION
The beach matting and wheelchair is located at the Williamstown Swimming & Life Saving Club, at the western end of the beach
Contact details available at at https://goo.gl/18DcBd
This video was filmed by Push Mobility on site at Williamstown Beach to promote Mobi-Mat when it was first made available in Australia.
Here you can see the on-site kiosk, the matting installation and how the matting moves over the sand.